Menu:

Expert Profile Menu
Apply for your Expert Profile Page
Expert Articles
Advertise with us
 

useNature Magazine - the Weekly Column - Tips - Info's - Stories

< Previous Article

Why Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?

Next Article >

Article by Jacqueline Lee

Why hyperbaric oxygen therapy?

Because oxygen fuels the body to keep you on track . . .

Every body needs more oxygen

Every cell in the body needs oxygen to complete the metabolic processes that give us life and energy. Oxygen gives the athlete stamina, helps the injured heal, and protects us from environmental toxins.

It is well recognised that when our levels of oxygen are reduced, our body’s ability to repair and protect cells is severely impaired. Operating on reduced levels of oxygen encourages bacteria, fungus, viruses, microbes and pathogens to flourish. And when deprived of more than 60% oxygen, an ideal environment is created for damaged cells to mutate and cause even more diabolical damage to our systems. All of these harmful agents, as well as toxins, simply cannot exist in an oxygen rich environment.

How much oxygen is in the air we breathe?

Did you know that in our toxic environment the oxygen content of the air we breathe can be as low as 21%? Eons ago, the air on our planet contained somewhere between 38% to 50% oxygen and the major reason we now have diminished oxygen in the air is due to pollution. So most of us are trying to run our complex machines on around half of the oxygen our bodies were designed to use.

How much more oxygen will be available as a result of hyperbaric therapy?

We actually only use between 4% and 6% of the oxygen we breathe. Our red blood cells are responsible for transporting 97% of that oxygen, while the remaining 3% travels around the body in the blood plasma. Our vascular system then delivers oxygen to our cells. Anyone with a compromised circulatory system or stressed red blood cells may not be getting enough essential oxygen to every part of the body.

During treatment 30% oxygen is available to us. And because of the pressure inside the chamber, our body is able to use 100% of that oxygen. Ninety seven percent of the oxygen travels within the plasma and the remaining 3% is transported by the red blood cells, reversing the load. In effect the body can absorb almost ten times more oxygen than normal.

21 Feb 2013

Last Update: 23 Feb 2013

Article/Information supplied by Jacqueline Lee

Disclaimer - Any general advice given in any article should not be relied upon and should not be taken as a substitute for visiting a qualified medical Doctor.

Share

Comments